1. Find a relevant person with something to say about your topic. Aim high.
2. Prepare and research your questions.
3. Think online. What do you think will be the best way to tell your subject’s story. Q and A? Transcript? Links? Photos? Audio? Video? Some combination of all of these? Is there a way to encourage interaction from readers?
4. Do your interview and gather information in various media elements.
5. See what you get and then rethink Step 3. Ask again, what is the best way to tell this story?
6. Prepare your interview to post.
7. Write up a one paragraph introduction. Who is the person? Why are they someone we should hear from? What do they have to say? Give a teaser to lure the audience to read more.
8. Post it on your blog by the deadline.
Here are some formats you might use:
Simple Q and A – by email, phone, or in person
Quick Q and A with Don Tollefson (Phillyist blog)
Bob the Street Preacher (Boston Behind the Scenes)