Create an final project – the equivalent of a substantial feature story – for your blog. It should demonstrate what you have learned over the course of the semester and be the culmination of your blog coverage to date. Your goal should be to tell a compelling and complete story.
Final feature requirements:
- story pitch must be approved by instructor
- original reporting and research
- a structured narrative
Some possible presentation options include…
1. LIVE BLOG AN EVENT
- Promote cyber-event
- Work to build an audience
- Set up, computer, web access, etc
- Blog the live event in real time
- Write up a summary post afterward
- Evaluate the event and your coverage in a blog post
Examples: See examples of live blogging.
2. CREATE A FEATURE LENGTH PHOTO ESSAY
- Pitch a relevant story that is best covered visually
- Spend time photographing the subject
- Do research and interviews
- Create a slide show with photos and text
- Write up accompanying text to summarize your work
- Or add audio to your slide shows using Slide.com or iMovie
Examples: See examples from Picture Stories or other online photojournalism sites listed on 10,000 words.
3. AN AUDIO STORY
- Pitch a story that is best told with audio.
- Do reporting, interviews, and collect audio
- Edit the story on Garage Band or Audacity
- Post as an .mp3 or podcast
Examples: See examples from Internet Radio and Podcasts
4. A FEATURE LENGTH ARTICLE WITH LINKS, PHOTOS, AUDIO OR VIDEO
- Report, research and write a feature-length article
- Gather information from a variety of sources
- Follow a standard magazine article structure: a vivid lead, nutgraph cosmic graph, and a series of points or events that tell a story
- Supplement it with online features (ie links, photos, audio, video)
Examples: See Pearls Before Breakfast (WashingtonPost.com)
5. OTHER IDEAS?
You may have other ideas of how best to tell your story. Pitch it.
Your project will be assessed on:
- idea (Is it compelling? Is it worth a feature?)
- execution (Is it well researched? Do you do original reporting?)
- presentation (Do the elements you use help tell the story?)
Points for Final Feature (150 points)
Here are some examples of what people did last year:
No New Members for NJ Historical Groups
Burlington County Prison Museum with Q and A
Marine Mammal Stranding Center with a photo essay
A Video Tour of Pitman
Rowan Football Season Roundup