This course examines the online news landscape. Students learn which principles of traditional journalism can and should be applied to the Web, and what makes online journalism unique. Students gain this knowledge through reading assignments, class activities, and a series of reporting, writing, and multimedia reporting assignments.
• Gain an overview of the state of online journalism today.
• Explore the unique challenges and opportunities of doing journalism on the Web.
• Acquire a basic knowledge of HTML, CSS and the use of a Content Management System.
• Use various online tools to manage text, links, photos, maps, audio, and video.
• Gain experience reporting, writing, and producing for online media.
• Experiment with digital storytelling.
• Produce an online publication with original reporting, writing, photographs, interviews, audio, video, and interactive map and/or timeline. If done well, this publication will be suitable for internship, freelance, and job applications.
Assignments, articles, quiz information, and tutorials will be posted on this blog for the course It is also a portal to student work. Students should bookmark the class blog or subscribe to its RSS feed, and use it regularly.