NewsWorks.org is the online home of WHYY News. The web site covers the Philadelphia region, Delaware and South Jersey, with a focus on regional issues, neighborhoods, health and science, and arts. It launched on Nov. 15, 2010.
Recent Newsworks.org multimedia feature stories:
1.Igniting a passion for paddling
Profile of Philadelphia Canoe Club
(Consists of 171 words, 3:42 video, and a Google map)
2. Brothers are sweet on tradition
Story about Berley brothers who make clear toy candy
(Consists of 331 words, one photo, and 2:02 audio slide show)
3. Willing hands
Story about volunteer organization that feeds and shelters homeless families
(Consists of 521 words, one photo, and 4:36 audio slide show)
4. Roller derby’s local legends
Story about the Penn Jersey Roller Derby League
(Consists of 146 words, one photo and 1:49 video)
In Class Assignment:
With your partner:
-Read, listen, watch, study three of the four features above.
-Consider each using the specific criteria for your final project. Discuss each with your partner.
-Then pick one of the stories and answer the following in writing in the comment field below:
1. What is the story? (1 sentence)
2. How did the journalist report this story? What did she research? Who did she interview? What events or locations did she visit? (2 to 4 sentences)
3. Do you think the multimedia format used is the best way to tell this story? Why or why not? (3 sentences)
4. Is this a compelling story? Why or why not? (1 to 3 sentences)
5. Is there any way this feature could be improved? If so, how? (2 to 3 sentences)