Online Journalism 1 examines the online news landscape. Students learn which principles of traditional journalism can and should be applied to the Web, and what makes online journalism unique. Students gain this knowledge through reading assignments, class activities, and a series of reporting, writing and multimedia production assignments.
• Examine the current state of online journalism.
• Explore the unique challenges and opportunities of digital journalism.
• Gain experience reporting, writing and producing for online news publications.
• Acquire a basic knowledge of HTML/CSS and the use of a Content Management System.
• Experiment with multimedia storytelling using text, links, photos, maps, audio and video.
• Produce an online publication with original reporting and content. If done well, this publication will be suitable for internship, freelance and job applications.
Students will practice online journalism in this course. Practice, in this case, means doing journalism, not pretending to do journalism just to fulfill a school assignment. Students will select a topic or beat to cover for the semester. Each student will create a blog and then report, write, edit and create multimedia content to cover the topic. All assignments will be posted online and will be public for anyone to read. Students will build an audience. I will serve as an editorial advisor and give the same responses, instruction and suggestions that I would give to professional journalists. My goal is to impart the standards and ethics of journalism while encouraging innovation in a digital medium.
This class blog serves as the primary source of information for the course. It will updated several times a week. Resources for lectures and in-class activities will be posted here, as well as assignments, reading, class schedule, grading and tutorials. It is also a portal to student work. Students should bookmark the class blog or subscribe to its RSS feed, and read it regularly.
Students are required to purchase some basic equipment for this course. Make sure it meets the required specifications.