1. Have something to say. Say it well.
2. Break news.
3. Be a novice. Be an expert. Be a guide.
4. Carve out a niche.
5. Write with an honest, personal voice.
6. Create original content.
7. Digest information and spit it back out in a way that is more useful for your audience.
8. Post often.
9. Create a regular feature. Keep them coming back for more of the same.
10. Write with variety. Keep them coming back for the surprise.
11. Write descriptive, compelling headlines that use key words.
12. Link. Link. Link.
13. Expand your blog roll.
14. Give credit to others. And link to them.
15. Email your friends, relatives, co-workers, and professors and tell them what you are doing.
16. Use social media like Facebook, Twitter, Google+.
18. Use categories. Use tags.
19. Contact the experts. Do a Q and A. Profile them.
20. Email your story link to anyone you write about.
21. Post intelligent, substantive comments on other blogs.
22. Submit your blog to search engines like technorati.
23. Join online networks, groups, meetups.
24. Pay attention to your Blog Stats.
25. Edit yourself.
26. Keep at it.
27. Learn from others.