Some tips and things to practice:
- Avoid using the flash if possible.
- Go outside or use a large window for natural light.
- Watch out for shadows on the face.
- Avoid strong backlight.
- Avoid light directly in subject’s eyes.
- Neutral and simple are best.
- Position your subject away from the wall. A flash can cause shadows.
- No poles or trees growing out of her head.
- Fill the frame.
- Think rule of thirds.
- Get closer.
- Try different angles.
- Avoid the mugshot.
- If the person can do something with their hands it often makes them more relaxed.
- Ask person to do something.